Ragi is a perfect health food for any age. It can be consumed by infants and diabetic adults alike. It contains relatively high amounts of calcium and fibre. The grain’s seed coat is abundant in polyphenols and dietary fibre as compared to rice, maize or wheat. The low glycemic index lessens food cravings and maintains the digestive pace, consequently, keeping blood sugar within the safe range. Weight loss is a welcome by-product of this phenomenon.
Being a natural relaxant, regular consumption of Ragi will help in dealing with conditions such as anxiety, depression and insomnia. Without doubt a great asset for diabetics.
Here’s a simple Indian recipe made with Ragi.
Number of Idlis: 4
|Black gram dal||30 gms|
|Fenugreek seeds||12.5 gms|
- Clean Ragi properly and soak overnight.
- Soak dal and fenugreek seeds overnight.
- In the morning, grind both of them separately and then mix.
- Add salt and keep for 5-6 hours for fermentation.
- Steam small portions (4) of the mixture in an idli mould till set and cooked.
Nutritive value per serving (2 Idlis)
|Invisible Fat||1.2 gms|
As diabetics, apart from what we eat, we need to always keep in mind the following:
- How much should we eat?
- When should we eat?
- And what combinations of foods should we consume?
You can have these delicious and super healthy Idlis with the classic south Indian coconut chutney and unsweetened sambar. Enjoy your meal!
Consultant dietician and nutritionist